Online Training for Union Learning Reps (ULRs)
Start date: 26 January 2021
End date: to be completed by 2 April 2021
Completion of self-directed online TUC course (approx. 12 hours)
3 workshops delivered via Zoom
Completion of self-directed online UNISON materials
Online Introduction: 26 January. 9.30am – 12.00 Noon
Online Workshop 1: 9 Feb or 17 Feb. 9.30am – 12.00 Noon
Online Workshop 2: 4 March or 11 March. 9.30am – 12.00 Noon
This ULR Training is offered to all UNISON East Midlands members wishing to train as a UNISON ULR. It will cover:
– Supporting members
– Identifying learning needs
– Promoting learning
– Organising your own events
How to Apply
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org stating:
– Membership number (or home address inc postcode)
– Preferred e-mail & telephone number
– Any learning support required
– Which Workshop you are able to attend for workshops 1 & 2
Please use the Application for Time Off to help secure facility time to enable you to undertake this training (this form is to be retained by yourself and your branch).
Role of the Union Learning Rep (ULR)
ULRs are members who are passionate about learning and want to help others. Their role can be summed up as:
- Promoting Learning – advertising courses and making people aware
- Supporting people – helping overcome barriers that stop them taking up learning
- Identify needs – finding out what people want to learn
- Organise their own courses – short workshops, book swaps or courses
- Work with employers to support learning
ULRs should get paid time-off to train and do their duties. See the video below to hear about the experiences of members who attended a recent ULR conference and how their role supports members to access learning opportunities. Please contact us to find out more.
Have a look at these videos of ULRs talking about what they do. This one is taken from a national conference for ULRs:
This is a series of videos from East Midlands ULRs, currently in Lockdown, explaining what they’ve done:
ULRs come together from different branches across the counties to put on extra courses. Have a look at the courses they have organised.
Union Learning Rep (ULR) Training
To become a ULR there are two steps:
- Contact your branch to get yourself ‘nominated’. This is the official bit and is needed to get your paid time-off
- Complete the course application form (see Resources, below) send it back to your branch.
To find out how to contact your branch call UNISON direct on 08000 857 857 You can find helpful information about time-off for trade union duties and activities here: ACAS Code of Practice
Find out more about the ULR role and hear from UNISON members who have already trained, here: UNISON East Midlands ULRs
You are entitled for time off to train and preform your Trade Union duties and activities. Please take a look at the ACAS guidance below for further information.
Already a ULR? Want to progress? Stage Two courses available, plus the Branch Lifelong Learning Coordinator role. See below. More dates in our CORE Education Programme