Online Training for Union Learning Reps (ULRs)
Applications for our ULR training has now closed. Please watch this space for the next course!
Role of the Union Learning Rep (ULR)
ULRs are members who are passionate about learning and want to help others. Their role can be summed up as:
- Promoting Learning – advertising courses and making people aware
- Supporting people – helping overcome barriers that stop them taking up learning
- Identify needs – finding out what people want to learn
- Organise their own courses – short workshops, book swaps or courses
- Work with employers to support learning
ULRs should get paid time-off to train and do their duties. See the video below to hear about the experiences of members who attended a recent ULR conference and how their role supports members to access learning opportunities. Please contact us to find out more.
Have a look at these videos of ULRs talking about what they do. This one is taken from a national conference for ULRs:
This is a series of videos from East Midlands ULRs, currently in Lockdown, explaining what they’ve done:
ULRs come together from different branches across the counties to put on extra courses. Have a look at the courses they have organised.
Union Learning Rep (ULR) Training
To become a ULR there are two steps:
- Contact your branch to get yourself ‘nominated’. This is the official bit and is needed to get your paid time-off
- Complete the course application form (see Resources, below) send it back to your branch.
To find out how to contact your branch call UNISON direct on 08000 857 857 You can find helpful information about time-off for trade union duties and activities here: ACAS Code of Practice
Find out more about the ULR role and hear from UNISON members who have already trained, here: UNISON East Midlands ULRs
You are entitled for time off to train and preform your Trade Union duties and activities. Please take a look at the ACAS guidance below for further information.
Already a ULR? Want to progress? Stage Two courses available, plus the Branch Lifelong Learning Coordinator role. See below. More dates in our CORE Education Programme