Are you a band 2 healthcare support worker in the East Midlands? You may be entitled to better pay…
Healthcare support staff work as part of the dedicated NHS team to deliver quality patient care. Over the years you’ve seen your role evolve and expand to take on more responsibilities, but without the pay and recognition to match.
In Manchester, UNISON achieved a backpay deal worth £16 million for Healthcare support workers. We want to do similar for you in the East Midlands!
Take the first step to pay justice and complete our survey here
While many healthcare support staff are on band 2 pay, some are performing clinical duties and patient observations – tasks which fall under band 3 of the Agenda for Change pay scales.
While personal care remains a fundamental aspect of the healthcare support worker role, it’s undeniable that in many cases you are taking on more responsibilities than ever before.
In the NHS, nursing shortages mean that many healthcare support staff like you have been working above their pay grade. Without you, clinical colleagues would not be able to carry out their roles.
UNISON is proud to be the trade union that represents healthcare support workers and we’re campaigning for the NHS to start getting it right for you.
We want to see you:
- Rewarded – Healthcare support workers should be paid at the right band for the job, and you should be compensated for the work you’ve already been doing at band 3.
- Recognised – The increased contribution of healthcare support staff should be acknowledged. Without you performing these essential clinical duties, the workload would fall on other overworked colleagues and patient care would suffer.
- Respected – You should be offered high quality training and career development opportunities to help you build your skills and progress within the NHS.
The COVID-19 pandemic has laid bare how much the NHS relies on healthcare support staff, who have worked tirelessly to care for extremely sick and vulnerable patients while being underpaid and undervalued. It’s high time you got the pay and recognition you deserve.
How can you get involved?
Whether you’re a UNISON member already or not, please take a few minutes to complete this survey. Take the first step towards winning fair pay for you and your colleagues.
Pay Fair for Patient Care Survey
All responses will be treated in confidence. By completing the survey, you are agreeing to be contacted about the campaign.
- If you’re a healthcare support worker being paid at band 2 but taking on regular clinical duties, speak to your local UNISON rep. You have the right to have your role reviewed and they can help to kickstart the process.
- Please participate in any rebanding campaign activity that might be taking place in your branch – this could include taking part in the survey, filling out the daily diary and signing the open letter.
- Ask your healthcare support colleagues to join UNISON. We’re stronger together!
- Get the support of other colleagues including clinicians – the NHS is one team!
Not in UNISON?
Join today and be part of the country’s biggest health union – we’ve got your back.
Want to get further involved?
We need as many people as possible to come together and make this campaign a success. Whether it’s getting active in your branch, organising in your workplace or promoting the campaign online, please get in touch.